2.10.2007

Living With Premature Ovarian Failure- What a Sucky Way to Start a Marriage!

So I got on the HRT and the Fosamax for my Osteopenia (low bone density)as well as Prozac for my ever darkening mood. My hot flashes were almost constant. It felt like there was a fire lit right at the base of my neck and my entire face and ears would become bright red - people would actually comment on it so I know it wasn't all in my head. I also had terrible vaginal dryness and my skin was dry and I was terribly constipated all the time. It hurt to have sex. I felt like an old lady. Actually my mother was 55 years old at the time and had just gone through menopause and her symptoms weren't even as bad as mine.

As the hormones started working the symptoms got a little bit better but they were never completely relieved. I got involved in an online support group for ladies with POF and got a lot of information that way. I decided to use Vivelle Dot patches and Prometrium as opposed to the Estrace and Provera. I felt a lot better on the patch estrogen than I did taking the pills. Not sure why- but they just seemed to work better. Also the Provera made me completely homicidal (not really but close) and the Prometrium was a little better. Still it was so strange being 28 years old and having to deal with all of this. I was self conscious about getting undressed at the pool etc. because I had the patches on I was afraid of what people would think.

During this time I started doing a lot of drinking. I was fighting with my husband constantly. I felt like God was punishing me- that there must be a reason why nature deemed me an unfit parent. I thought - okay my family history is a little strange but there are a lot of people with weird families that have a lot of kids. Why me? I questioned everything. I vacillated between wanting to have a baby and then thinking that if God chose to make me this way then I must not be meant to be a mother. I thought my husband deserved better- someone who could give him a family - someone who was more womanly. I was physically, emotionally and spiritually a wreck. I was drinking just about every night to dull my senses and my marriage suffered for it. For some reason which I still to this day cannot figure out- Mike stuck around. He must either be crazy or he must love me a lot or maybe a little bit of both.


My sister had offered herself and her eggs to us if we wanted to use them - but I was no where near ready for this. And actually she wound up getting pregnant herself a couple of months after I was diagnosed. She was so afraid to tell me - I think that she thought that I would freak out. But instead I remember when she told me I was so happy. I refused to be one of those infertile women who couldn't be happy for other people when they got pregnant or who would freak out around children and babies. I refused to live my life that way.

I was so pleased to hear that Tara (my sister) was pregnant- her circumstances were such that the father was not going to be involved in the baby's life (that's another story altogether)so I was really able to be involved with her pregnancy and then with the birth. I got to be in the delivery room and cut the cord when my beautiful niece Nelka was born. I felt and still feel very close to her- perhaps more so because of what I was going through at the time. At times it felt like just having a strong bond with my niece and being a good aunt would be enough and that maybe I could live without a child of my own. But the desire was still there. I just wasn't sure what to do yet.

I was working as an RN and most of my co-workers knew about my situation. I actually found out about my diagnoses at work- so most of them got to see my complete breakdown. So as time went on I would talk to people about my situation and my options. I remember one particular incident when I was speaking with a pediatrician I was working with and I told her I was considering using egg donation and specifically my sister as a donor. Her response was "God- that would just be too weird. That wouldn't even be your baby." I thought to myself you insensitive bitch. I had 3 options as I saw it- adoption, egg donation or living child-free. None of these options were ideal - of course I would rather have sex with my husband and have a child like everyone else. I didn't like my options better than anyone else- but for her to respond that way really struck a chord with me.

I was filled with doubt - I thought I was ready to use an egg donor- but maybe she was right- would it all just be too freaky. Would I screw up the poor kid - should I just leave well enough alone and enjoy my niece? I really retreated into myself more and started thinking that perhaps this lady was right and I just wasn't meant for motherhood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate. Well atleast my wife can, it's been two years and we're still struggling but I'm still here hoping.

reki said...

Hi my name is Bex and i havebeen told i have pof and the fianaily pof i am now 26 and i was fists told this at 15 almost 16 whilst doing my gcse's and as you can imagine a hetic and horriable time for me , i found this out on a thursday and by a sunday found out on the sunday my younger sister at 15 had got caught on the pill , i was never offererd counciling and by the time i was offeredthe help i felt i had already lost 10years of not being able to feel that bond or feel like a real woman im finding it so hard at the moment because searcing others peoplesblogs is the only way i get to find people who may have thought the way i have and have felt as hurt as i do as as after 10 years of bin told by the NHS that im still a mystry isnt good enough

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it