2.13.2007

And we're off!! Egg Donor contracted and meds started


After about 2 months (really 2 periods for me) they checked my uterine lining again and let me know that the lining was at the perfect thickness for an egg to implant. In the meatime the donor had been on numerous different medications to stimulate her egg production. For me at this point everything was very easy- I was only taking Estrogen except higher doses and then Prometrium to cause me to have a period. The donor was taking shots and having frequent sonograms to measure her follicles etc. They did keep us updated on "how she was doing". Since she was a "big girl" she wound up having to take more medication which is pretty expensive. Finally we got to the point where my uterus was ready and she had a bunch of eggs. So one day my husband went up to the hospital and gave that fateful sperm sample (no pressure) and the donor had a procedure to retrieve the eggs from her ovaries. We would up with something like 20 eggs to start with. My husbands sperm was put in the mix and now we had to wait for 5 days. Every day they called to let us know how our little embryos were doing. We started off with 20 eggs on April 15th. By April 16th only 13 fertilized. From there the numbers dropped everyday. It was a little disheartening! On April 17th we had 8 excellent, 3 good, 1 average and 1 poor little guy was discarded. The next day (April 18th) we only had 5 excellent, 3 good, 3 average and 1 very poor. I was really hoping for multiple embryos so that we could freeze some for future use. Oh well! By day 5 we only had 2 blastocysts and they grade them like A, B, C- these were a B and a B-. I was truly freaking out- I didn't understand how we went from 20 eggs to 2 blastocysts that were possibly substandard! I was a wreck- but the doctor assured me that many pregnancies result from "B" blastocysts. I wasn't convinced but what can you do?
On thing to mention at this point- the hospital I went to does a day 5 transfer- this means that they put the egg and sperm together and let them fertilize and grow for 5 days before they put them in the recipient (me!). In the past most transfers were done at 3 days. This is still done sometimes. My doctor explained to me that they have a much higher pregnancy rate when they wait 5 days because the embryos that last 5 days in the lab as very strong and viable! I think I had something like 8 embryos at day 3- so to go from 8 to 2 was very scary for me. I also to this day wonder if I had the transfer at day three - would it have worked and then I could have frozen some but I will never know!
So the day had come - we had 2 blastocysts my uterus was just right and it was our day of reckoning. We were gonna leave pregnant or brokenhearted!

No comments: