2.13.2007

Picking a Donor- what should I look for??

Choosing a donor was an adventure in and of itself. It is a very sobering feeling choosing the genetic basis for your future child. We got in touch with our local Egg Donation Center recommended by Dr. Rodriguez and they started sending us profiles of donors based on some of our preferences. I wanted someone young and with a good family health history ( no cancer or genetic disorders). Also getting a bunch I forwarded a picture of myself to the center and asked that they try to find someone with similar physical characteristics.
The profiles consisted of about a 5 page health history which also included a picture of the woman's face and her health history along with histories of her siblings, parents and both sets of grandparents. The histories were pretty comprehensive.
There were a lot of donor s that I could eliminate immediately because of their picture. There were others that I eliminated immediately because of something in their family history that bothered me. I was getting frustrated because I just wasn't finding someone that I felt good about.
After looking at about 30 of these profiles I was finally sent a few that I liked. I actually found 3 that I wanted to consider. It came down to a few factors at this point. If a girl was local she would be a lot cheaper- you pay any travel fees that the girl would incur. Also if she had already donated then she would not need certain very expensive lab tests that we would have to pay for. The final deciding factor was if she was available to donate in the time period that we were looking for. After all these considerations we wound up with only one that fit all the criteria that we had set. Getting a local proven donor could save you a few thousand dollars so it is significant! The cost not including all of her medication-was around $6000 and I believe that she got $3000 of that! So we got the contract and everyone signed it. She was local Available and had donated 3 previous times with 2 babies resulting. She was 21 years old and very pretty and 6 foot 1 inch! I thought that was cool because my husband is only 5'7" so a little height never hurt anyone!
We were set to start! My husband had to have a sperm count done and I had to have a "saline sonogram" done of my uterus to make sure that I didn't have any issues with my uterus that would interfere with carrying a child. Luckily both of these tests turned out fine. We were ready to start on this wild ride they gave me a calender and all I really needed to do was to take the hormones that I was already taking but just more of them and on certain days. Piece of cake for me - donor was the one that had to have the shots on the other painful things. It was really easy for me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so interesting to follow along with your story -- After a diagnosis of premature ovarian failure, my husband and I are just starting out on the egg donor route. We go in on Monday for our IVF orientation, and we'll soon start looking at our donor choices. It is very kind of you to share your experiences with us.

Anonymous said...

thank you for telling your story.
It was really great to read of your success.
I hope I get lucky as well!
broken

Anonymous said...

Waiting for you to post some more :-)